Tour of Fire Station Scheduled
The Senior Center's annual summer tour series continues on Thurs, August 17th beginning at 10:00 a.m. when we visit the newly remodeled Faribault Fire Station.
The Faribault Fire Department operates out of 1 fire station with a crew of 9 full time and 24 part-time firefighters, along with the Fire Chief and a department secretary. The Department provides services to the city of Faribault and an additional 126 square miles in townships surrounding Faribault.
In addition to fire suppression, staff provide fire prevention planning and education, medical first aid response, heavy and tactical rescue, and emergency management. Our tour guide will be the Faribault Fire Chief, Dustin Dienst. Pre-registration is required and can be done by calling the Senior Center at 332-7357.
Thank you to everyone who joined us for this year's "Night to Unite". It was the fourth year that the Buckham Center tenants joined hands to offer this community wide event. Throughout the complex we saw our neighbors- young and old- take part in the night's activities. We had music, food, children's activities and visits from the public officials and public safety staff of our city and county. We appreciate everyone who participated in this community activity.
If you are turning 65 or going on Medicare soon, here is an opportunity for you to get the information you need. "Medicare Basics" will be held at the Faribault Senior Center and is scheduled for Tuesday, September 26th beginning at 5:30 pm.
The workshop will cover the parts of Medicare- hospital, medical and drug options; including original/ traditional Medicare, Medicare supplements, Medicare advantage plans, Part D prescription drug coverage and preventive benefits.
Instructor Chad Wojchik, is a certified State Health Insurance Program Counselor and specialist with the Senior LinkAge Line®. This is a free event which is open to the public. There is a minimum of 10 participants for this class to be held, so sign up is necessary by calling 332-7357.
Services for Seniors
Home and community based long term care services include a wide variety of personal care, health care, and other supportive services. Those services also enable individuals to continue living at home, maintaining as much independence as possible. Join us on Thurs, August 17th beginning at 1:30 p.m. and learn about these options and how you can access them for your clients or loved ones.
Program presenters include Diane Winkels, RN, RCPH, Jolene Nelson, SW, RCPH and Carla Pearson, SW, Three Rivers Community Action.
Pre-registration requested for this free session. An attendance certificate provided for those that request it. Classes in this series are sponsored by Rice County Public Health (RCPH) in partnership with the Faribault Senior Center.
Support Group starting in August
The Minnesota Elder Justice Center (MEJC) and the Faribault Senior Center are partnering on a community support group for those affected by elder abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation and hope to give them an opportunity to speak and be heard.
We welcome family members, concerned friends or neighbors, and any other individuals impacted by the abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation of a vulnerable adult. For more information: www.elderjusticemn.org
Our first meeting is from 6-8 p.m., Monday, August 21st at the Senior Center, where we will listen to a presentation on basics of elder abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation followed by a group discussion. Subsequent meetings will be held on the third Monday of each month. There is no cost, pre-registration or Senior Center membership required.
Capital Campaign Update
It is exciting to be able to share that we now have 496 unique donors who have given over $1.65M towards our building expansion fundraising goal. We also now know that the average gift size is $1,500. A gift that is $1,000 or greater allows the donor to be named on our Wall of Honor.
We are so appreciative of every gift that has been given to this project. Have you given yet? If you haven't, please consider a donation. A pledge can be made and paid over a period of several years. It will take everyone's help to make this a reality. If you need a donation or pledge form, you can stop at the Senior Center for one or download it at faribaultseniorcenter.org.
- Cleaning out your closet? Why not donate your gently used clothing and accessories to Fashions on Central. By doing so, you will be supporting the Senior Center. Drop off your donations between 10am-5pm Monday-Saturdays.
- Carla Pearson, LSW, a Senior and Caregiver Advocate for Three Rivers Community Action will be here on Thursday, August 10. Call for an appointment
- MN State Fair for Senior Day on Thur., Aug 31 from 8:30-5:00 pm. Take the day to view the exhibits, watch entertainment and enjoy the food. Cost is $40 including transportation and admission. Signup sheets now available.
- St. Croix Riverboat Cruise with luncheon and Mall of America on Friday, September 8 from 9:30-4:30pm. Following the two hour cruise, we will spend some time at the Mall of America. $60 includes motorcoach transportation, cruise and lunch.
- Jackpot Junction trip is scheduled for September 13 and 14. $50 on Players Card and Senior Perks available. Cost is $65, including transportation and hotel room.
- Branson in the Fall on Sept 22-26. Brochure available, which includes cost.
- Hostfest in Minot, SD on Sept. 28-Oct. 1. Brochures are ready to be picked up.
- Christmas in Nashville on Nov. 15-20. Brochures and trip details are ready.